Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Inspiration...

I have been asked this question many times. "What motivated you to tell your story?" Well, the answer to that is easy...Sheldon Kennedy!

When I first arrived in Canada in 1997, I was connected to an agency that recruited extras for shows and movies. One of the movies I was an extra in was 'The Sheldon Kennedy Story'.

The Sheldon Kennedy Story as you may know, is an autobiography of the life of former NHL hockey player Sheldon Kennedy, that was sexually abused by his coach, Graham James. Sheldon reveiling to the world of the abuse he had endured growing up, really inspired me. I remember after watching the movie thinking to myself that when the time was right for me, I too would share my story. 

I find it coincidental or maybe it was just meant to be, but here I am, straight off the boat in a new country, and the first thing I do is become an extra in a movie, that just happens to be about a guy who has been sexually abused. A message for sure. I feel really honoured that I had the opportunity to play a part (although tiny) in this movie.

I have so much respect for Sheldon Kennedy, and not only for his courage to come forward and tell his story because really that was a biggy, but for making a difference in the way we 'society' think and deal with abuse. Couragous man! Sheldon has also gone on to advocate for change in our laws and has also developed a program for sports teams and groups called Respect in Sports.

In 2011 I had Little Warriors come in to do the Stewards of Children training with staff. The round table introductions "why are you here" actually threw me big time. I thought I had my feelings under control and was over the fact I was abused...man was I wrong. When I was asked the question...right there and then I blurted it out "I want staff to know the signs to look out for" and "I was abused as a child". Have to say, that was just so unexpected as were the tears...not only for me but the staff I'm sure!

The Stewards of Children Prevention Workshop is a great resource for your staff or anyone that works with children. It also gives parents an understanding of the signs of abuse to look for and how to keep their children safe.

So back to inspiration...I always knew after reading all there was to know about Sheldon Kennedy that there would be a time for me to speak out. And when I read the story of the young local lady known as the alias "Arizona" I knew that the time was now!

Inspiration comes in many forms!

 
Karen 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment